Amy Nelson is a former Seattle entrepreneur who founded and ran The Riveter, a network of co-working spaces for women and allies. She is also the wife of Carleton Nelson, a former Amazon real estate manager who is accused of being involved in a fraud and kickback scheme by the tech giant. In this blog post, we will explore the background, challenges, and outcomes of Amy Nelson’s experience with Amazon.
Background of Amy Nelson
Amy Nelson was born and raised in Iowa, where she developed a passion for social justice and feminism. She graduated from Emory University with a degree in political science and history and then attended New York University School of Law, where she earned her Juris Doctor degree. She worked as a corporate litigator for several years, before moving to Seattle with her husband and children.
Amy Nelson launched The Riveter in 2017, inspired by her own challenges as a working mother and a female entrepreneur. The Riveter was a network of co-working spaces that offered flexible memberships, professional development, and community events for women and allies. The Riveter raised nearly $20 million in funding and expanded to nine locations across the U.S., with plans to open 100 more by 2022.
However, Amy Nelson’s success was overshadowed by a legal battle that involved her husband and Amazon. In 2020, Amazon filed a civil lawsuit against Carleton Nelson and his colleague, alleging that they conspired with a Colorado real estate developer to receive millions of dollars in kickbacks in exchange for directing Amazon Web Services data center deals to the developer. The FBI also seized more than $600,000 from the Nelsons’ bank accounts as part of a criminal investigation.
Challenges of Amy Nelson
Amy Nelson faced several challenges as a result of Amazon’s accusations against her husband. Some of these challenges were:
- Financial hardship: Amy Nelson had to deal with the loss of her personal funds and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on her business. She had to close all nine locations of The Riveter and pivot to an online platform that offered virtual events and resources for women and allies. She also had to pay for legal fees and expenses for her husband’s defense.
- Emotional stress: Amy Nelson had to cope with the emotional stress and trauma of being accused of wrongdoing by one of the most powerful companies in the world. She had to face public scrutiny, media attention, and social media backlash. She also had to support her husband and children through the ordeal.
- Professional setback: Amy Nelson had to overcome the professional setback and reputation damage caused by Amazon’s lawsuit. She had to rebuild her credibility, trust, and network in the entrepreneurial ecosystem. She also had to reinvent her business model and strategy to survive and thrive in the changing market.
Outcomes of Amy Nelson
Amy Nelson managed to overcome the challenges and achieve positive outcomes for herself and her husband. Some of these outcomes were:
- Financial recovery: Amy Nelson and her husband reached a settlement agreement with the U.S. government that returned most of their seized funds. They agreed to forfeit $109,000, while the government agreed to return $525,000. The settlement did not constitute an admission of any unlawful activity by the Nelsons.
- Emotional resilience: Amy Nelson showed emotional resilience and courage by speaking out against Amazon’s allegations and defending her husband’s innocence. She also shared her story and insights on various platforms, such as podcasts, articles, and social media posts. She received support and solidarity from her family, friends, and followers.
- Professional growth: Amy Nelson showed professional growth and innovation by transforming The Riveter into a modern union of women and allies. She also launched a new venture called The Justice Collective, which is a platform that connects lawyers with social justice causes. She also received recognition and admiration from various organizations and media outlets for her achievements and influence.
Amy Nelson is a former Seattle entrepreneur who founded and ran The Riveter, a network of co-working spaces for women and allies. She is also the wife of Carleton Nelson, a former Amazon real estate manager who is accused of being involved in a fraud and kickback scheme by the tech giant. Amy Nelson faced several challenges as a result of Amazon’s accusations against her husband, such as financial hardship, emotional stress, and professional setback. However, Amy Nelson managed to overcome the challenges and achieve positive outcomes for herself and her husband, such as financial recovery, emotional resilience, and professional growth. Amy Nelson is a story of entrepreneurship and legal battle that inspires and empowers others who face similar situations.